What is Jal Shakti Abhiyan
Jal Shakti Abhiyan is a focused campaign launched by the Jal Shakti Ministry to address the acute water shortage in 255 districts across India . As the name suggests the Jal Shakti Abhiyan is a mission focused to identify the unique challenges/opportunities in each of these 255 districts and deliver a clear plan for remediation.
The Jal Shakti Abhiyan would run in two phases:
- Phase 1: 1st July to 15th September 2019
- Phase 2: 1st October to 30th November 2019
Key Highlights of the Jal Shakti Abhiyan
- A public movement or Jan Andolan approach towards water conversation to be adopted in the Jal Shakti Abhiyan.
- While the Jal Shakti Abhiyan would focus on water conservation and irrigation efficiency, it will also include asset creation and focused communication programs
- Cohesive teams are formed including officers in the target districts, water scientists and state and central government teams.
- The teams will first visit these target districts and evaluate/understand the specific challenges. Post that the teams will coordinate the implementation of various water conservation and harvesting initiatives.
- The teams’ mandate also includes water resource management and irrigation efficiency enhancement by focusing on accelerated implementation of select central programmes in seven intervention areas
- The officers will then submit their reports online on a designated portal and a secretariat is being set up at the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Ministry of Jal Shakti.
Intervention Areas for Jal Shakti Abhiyan
- Water conservation and rainwater harvesting
- Renovation of traditional and other water bodies/tanks
- Reuse and recharge structures
- Watershed development
- Intensive afforestation